Sunday, September 4, 2011

Vienna

Vienna is claimed to be the city where more people want to live in. The city offers a wide range of activities and attractions: museums, music, churches, palaces, film festivals, österreiches cuisine, parks, chocolates and ice creams.

La Gloriette

I visited Vienna during July and August. The weather is usually warm during this time, but it was a little awkward during my stay.
I decided to stay at an appartment. It was the cheapest option I could find. Plus, one can make dinner at home, allowing one to save a little extra money. The appartment I stayed at was in Schnirchgasse (3 subways stops from Stephensplatz).  I definetely recommend it.

Grocery time! So, Österreich has a great production of bio-products. Almost all products found in supermarkets are bio. Spar has very good quality products but it is the most expensive. However, Zielpunkt offers a wide range of products at lower prices (specially fruit!).

The nicest cathedrals or churches I visited were Karlskirche, Votivkirche and Stephansdom. 

Votivkirche

An atracction one cannot miss is Schloss Schönbrunn. I bought the Classic Pass, but just the visit to the entire castle is enough. One can visit almost all the gardens with the "normal" entrance.

I'm particulary very fond of Gustav Klimt's art pieces. Specially "The Kiss", it's my favorite. The best art works of Klimt are found at Oberes Belvedere (The Kiss),  Secession(Beethoven's Frieze) and Leopold's Museum (Life and Death). Museums are pretty expensive. The reduced fee ranges between 5 and 9 euros.

Naschmarkt

A great place to eat or just go for a walk is the Naschmarkt. The best veggie kebabs are at Dr. Falafel. It is also the cheapest place to buy nuts. The vegetarian restaurants I visted were Makro 1 and Loving Hut. Oh! And Mc Donalds and Burger King have veggie burgers for 1.50 euros and 2.99 euros respectively. The best ice cream? I would recommend Eis-Greissler wich offer bio and vegan ice cream and Eis Armando where the Joguhrtcup is amazing. Very near this last ice cream parlor, one can find Cupcakes Wien, a cute shop with a wide variety of sweets.

Hasselnuss und Erdbeere Knödels

Other curious places to visit are the Hundertwasserhaus buildings and the Schmetterling Haus (one can see the whole metamorphosis process).

No comments:

Post a Comment